Last night was Day One of American Idol, Season 11 as the judges arrived in Savannah, and I sat on the edge of my seat eagerly awaiting the start of the show! Yippee, I said – – “Here We Go”. We always love watching American Idol right from the beginning so we can see the good, the bad, and the ugly auditions, and last night surely held enough of the ugly ones, but a total of 42 people got the “Golden Tickets” to Hollywood and their one shot at fame.
- First up was 17 year old from NC, David Leathers who sang “Remember the Rain” – GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!
- Jessica Whitely, age 19 from Cuyahoga Falls was shot down by the judges with all no’s. Randy stated “Awful“.
- Next up, was a Ryan Seacrest look-alike, Shawn Kraisman and although he got Ryan’s personality down perfectly, his rendition of “Oh Girl” was horrible. Sorry Shawn, but you are not heading off to Hollywood.
- Shannon McGrane belted out her Etta James song and won the hearts of the judges. She also introduced her family to the panel and her Dad was Joe McGrane who pitched in the 1987 World Series for the Cardinals. (How cool is that?) Shannon got her gold ticket and is GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!
- Next was a 24 year old girl who actually lived in a tent in the woods in Tennessee with her husband Blake, Amy Brimfield sang “Super Woman” for the judges. All of the judges were in agreement to send Amy to Hollywood. Steven said: “The spirits in the woods snuck into you“. GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!
- Just when you think the auditions are going great so far, here comes Joshua Chavis, 23 year old from SC who upon stepping on the stage states “I’m not leaving the stage without a ticket“. We are not even sure what he sang because it was not something that you would want to remember. Jennifer Lopez said “Your voice is not up to par“. Joshua threw a hissy fit because he was not going to Hollywood and flipped off the camera man. Sorry Joshua, maybe next year!
- Stephanie Renae, age 15 sang “Inside your Heaven” and blew the judges away with her beautiful voice. GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!
- Lauren Mink, 25 year old Program Director got her wish and is GOING TO HOLLYWOOD! Lauren gave Jennifer Lopez goose bumps with her beautiful voice.
- W.T. Thompson, quit his job at a prison to pursue his dream. The judges voted and Steven said “no”, Jennifer said “yes” and Randy said “yes, but you’re going to be eaten alive”. GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!
- Then, there always has to be one (if not more) star gazer who obsesses over famous stars, and Erica Nowak for sure fit this bill. Erica stated that “Steven Tyler is my future ex-husband” and while she was granted a hug from Steven, she took advantage of that and grabbed Steven’s back end! Obviously, after hearing her sing….she was not granted a golden ticket to Hollywood.
- Brittany Kerr, age 24 was a dancer for the NBA and got the attention of the judges with her beautiful voice. GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!
- They always seem to leave the best performances for last and Phillip Phillips (yes, that is really his name) rocked his performance with “Superstition” by Stevie Wonder.
Day two auditions will be in Pittsburgh – the city of champions! Stay tuned for more Nikita, the Puppy Idol Reviews!